Sunday, October 14, 2012

WEEKLY RANT

If you ever feel like, you need to be put back in your place, too much spring in your step in need of straightening up, try an Italian tool shop, the ones that sell the good stuff though.
I was out to get tools and equipment, and needed to stock up, so I went to a well-known ironmonger, well let’s just give it away here, it was Gianola in Avenza, Carrara.
And here is their website: http://www.gianola.it/storia.htm

I have the suspicion that this shop is either a money laundering scheme or, what is more possible, a bunch of wealthy Italian men pretending, Marie Antoinette like, to run a proper tool shop, and getting a thrill out of stocking some fine machinery, and then not selling it.

I was standing with my selected goods, happy to depart with my hard earned cash.
On the till, one guy was counting bolts and put them into cardboard boxes, which he then elaborately sealed with masking tape, occasionally giving me a glance only to return to his more important work.
Another guy was talking to some curvy blond Italian girl, and 3 senior guys hushed around in the backroom, glancing across the till and looking incredibly busy.

They also make you draw this little paper numbers one gets on meat tills, only for the number never to move past number one.
In the quarter of an hour I patiently waited, nobody was served or, good forbid, exchanged something as frivolous as money for their beautiful selection of ironmongery.
My heel squeaked as I turned to leave the shop empty-handed.
And the hose, I go it elsewhere, they were just plain rude, but it almost felt like at Fortnum and Masons…